Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Saturday's Spin Class

On the third Saturday of the month, I meet with a bunch of ladies to learn the art of yarn spinning. Today's class was all about fiber/yarn dyeing.

Dyeing yarn is a multiple-step or oceans. First, you soak your fiber in a vinegar bath. Then, you use acid dye on a paint brush or in a squirt bottle to add color. After cooking your yarn in cling wrap for a few minutes, you rinse and then let your yarn dry. In a nutshell, within the hour, you should have yarn drying. In a few hours, you should be able to spin or knit your yarn.

 

Today's project was challenging. I feel that I have a eye for color, especially with my quilts. In fabric, i combine colors, often without thinking about it. It was challenging to look at a white piece of fiber and know exactly what I wanted it to look like. I learned I gravitate toward jewel tones, but I would like to experiment more warm colors like gold, ecru, etc. Knitty has some great articles on dyeing yarn.

I have another 10 oz of wool left in my stash. That's quite a bit....maybe I can figure out the Pantone fall color for this year, and get started on a cowl...

 

 

No comments: